Senior Editor – Minnesota Monthly
The senior editor of Minnesota Monthly is responsible for strategy, development, and delivery of content for Minnesota Monthly across all channels. This role will direct a team consisting of an associate editor, freelance writers, senior art director, interns and other content generators delivering original and curated lifestyle content with expert storytelling and interactive tools that inform and inspire readers/users. The editor reports directly to the Publisher of Greenspring Media and collaborates with ownership and senior leadership as appropriate to create, define and bring to life the editorial vision and voice. This role ensures effective and timely delivery of high quality publications and digital platforms, and oversees the editorial process to ensure that all aspects of content and production work effectively, refining as necessary to meet business objectives. Defines and refines the ongoing creative development and direction of the editorial product and its various forms (supplements, website, enews, social channels) to ensure the cultivation and growth of GM’s readership and online engagement. The editor is expected to have prior leadership roles in content development, editing, writing, developing editorial architectures for high frequency lifestyle publications, directing design, and representing a brand in the marketplace across a variety of highly visible outlets including, television and radio appearances. Strong digital content development history is a strong preference.
- Own and lead the content strategy and implementation for Minnesota Monthly.
- Source, develop and manage print and digital content for all Minnesota Monthly channels.
- Drive a team to develop concepts for additional content development in support of goals.
- Lead the in-house and freelance staff responsible for content creation and copy-editing.
- Coach and mentor staff, sharing best practices and setting measurable objectives.
- Ensure content is on brand, is engaging for consumers, as well as relevant and appropriately configured for specific delivery channels.
- Guide and lead editorial collaborations with clients and partners as required.
- Develop, manage and deliver editorial calendars, architectures, and final content for each of the distribution channels.
- Working closely with colleagues in marketing, sales, digital and other departments to ensure every opportunity for growth in readership, online and social media audiences and more.
- Ensure content authors are developing digital content that is prepped for maximum SEO.
- Leverage technology, direct reports, and efficient organizational skills to continually enhance productivity of the team.
- Actively serve as the Minnesota Monthly voice and brand ambassador across all channels (print, digital, social and in the marketplace)
- Consistently represents Minnesota Monthly and Greenspring Media at industry and marketplace events, actively seeking out and securing partnerships/opportunities to build brand personalities, as well as leverage personal and professional networks as appropriate to raise visibility and brand loyalty of Minnesota Monthly and other GM products/ business objectives.
- Minimum of 5 years working for a publishing company or content development/management team in a senior or managing editorial role.
- Requires a wide-range of creative intellect and sharp editorial judgment.
- Must have a strong command of consumer, marketplace, and industry trends with demonstrated expertise in leveraging that information to drive change in content approaches.
- Proven “editorial” judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness, balance.
- Commitment to public service journalism/content creation.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated leadership as a skilled manager.
- Ability to prioritize work, make decisions, and work productively in a fast-paced media environment.
- Proven ability to motivate, train, and grow employees and build high-performing teams.
- Significant experience in digital content production.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to think critically and deliver recommendations.
- Proven ability to work well with others both to complete projects and build working relationships.
- Fluency in common Web publishing platforms (WordPress, CMS, HubSpot, blogging, forums, etc.) and social media.
- Excellent project management.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity/understanding of digital analytics to determine appropriate content for each channel
- Experience representing a brand on air, acting as a primary public relations contact, emcee of events and/or brand ambassador to the general public.